If the Lemon Semifreddo in the previous post can be characterized as angelic, this Coffee Semifreddo is the devilish counterpart. It is the sweet weapon of choice when you want to go full throttle against the torpor of summer weather.
|Coffee Semifreddo|| |
Recipe type: Dessert
Author: Sharon Sanders
The USDA recommends that, due to possible danger from Salmonella contamination, pasteurized in-shell eggs should be used for any recipe calling for uncooked or undercooked eggs.
- 3 large eggs, separated (see note above)
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar, divided
- ½ cup brewed espresso or very strong coffee
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract or brandy
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup heavy or whipping cream
- Cocoa powder, chocolate curls, or chocolate-covered coffee beans
- Line a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap so excess hangs over the sides. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the egg yolks and ¼ cup sugar. With a flat-bottom whisk, stir until well combined. Stir in the espresso or coffee. Set over medium-high heat and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan and set it in a larger container filled with ice water; whisk occasionally until cool about 15 minutes. Stir in the vanilla or brandy.
- Combine the egg whites and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium speed until whites look foamy. Continue beating while gradually adding ¼ cup sugar, until stiff peaks form.
- In another mixing bowl, using the same beater, beat the cream with a mixer at high speed, adding the remaining ¼ cup sugar half way through, until doubled in volume.
- Fold the egg-white mixture into coffee mixture then gently fold in whipped cream. Pour and spread into the prepared pan. Bring the extra plastic wrap over the top to cover the semifreddo. Place in the freezer at least 12 hours or up to 3 days.
- To unmold, remove top plastic wrap. Set aside for about 10 minutes. Place the pan over a serving platter, and turn the semifreddo out of the pan. Slice with a sharp knife.
- Dust with cocoa powder or garnish with chocolate curls or chocolate-covered coffee beans.
Click here for information about egg cooking safety.
Click here for information about pasteurized in-shell eggs.
I made the lemon semifreddo yesterday and served this evening for dessert. It was delicious. The coffee version is a must!
So glad you enjoyed the semifreddo!